Date:      Fri, 19 Jan 2018 02:15:02 +0800
From:      Ting-Wei Lan <lantw44@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Zheng <kevinz5000@gmail.com>, freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How can I help get the GNOME port updated?

Kevin Zheng 於 西元2018年01月12日 02:56 寫道:
>> I use GNOME on my FreeBSD desktop and it works well -- thanks for all
>> the hard work. However, it's starting to get quite out of date now
>> though, with 3.18 being released over 2 years ago and many nice
>> improvements having been made in that time.

Yes, GNOME in FreeBSD looks very out-of-date even if several programs
and libraries were upgraded to more recent versions. I stopped using
GNOME 3.18 shortly after a new version is released by upstream.

My FreeBSD desktop currently run GNOME 3.27 unstable releases directly
built from upstream git. I believe this is a proof that the latest GNOME
still works on FreeBSD.

>> I'm wonder what the
>> blockers are to getting the port updated in the main ports tree? And
>> by extension if I can help fund the work required or help out by
>> submitting patches myself. In the latter case some specific direction
>> on the most valuable place to start would be appreciated.

You can find the ports tree used for development on GitHub:
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports-gnome/tree/gnome-3.26

master branch is used to track official FreeBSD ports and development is
done on other branches. We are trying to get ports updated to GNOME
3.26, so the branch we use is 'gnome-3.26'.

A few blocker bugs, such as GJS build failure and GDM login problem, are
resolved recently. I don't know whether there are other blockers, but I
think it is already good enough.

> I wanted to echo the questions asked here.
>
> I'm interested in seeing FreeBSD's GNOME keep up with upstream. But the
> FreeBSD GNOME site and wiki page look out of date and are pretty
> unhelpful in stating how to contribute.

The website and wiki are almost always out of date ... There was a few
minor updates done to the website when GNOME 3 was imported, but it
quickly became out of date again.

> There's a list of team members but not who's responsible for what, so
> it's hard to find out who to reach out to.

I don't know who is responsible for which parts, either. It seems to me
that the only active developer listed on the page is kwm. I may be
wrong, but most commits in gnome-3.24 and gnome-3.26 branches of the
development repository are made by him.

I usually send my patches directly to GNOME upstream, so I have low
number of patches in FreeBSD ports and I am not listed on the page.

> And this mailing list is full
> of automated messages so it's hard to sort out the cruft.

Yes, there are a lot of bug mail, and messages sent by humans are likely
to get ignored. Some posts and bug reports never get any reply, which is
not a good situation.

> How can I get involved with GNOME on FreeBSD?

I think the best way is to join the discussion in #freebsd-gnome channel
on freenode IRC. It is currently a low-traffic channel and messages you
send are likely to get reply as long as you don't leave the channel. It
is recommended to run your IRC client on a server to keep you always
online because we may live in different time zones.