Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2014 15:02:27 -0800
From:      Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@gmail.com>
To:        Bigby James <bigby.james@dimthoughts.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Do I want to switch to the new pkg(8) format?

On Fri, Dec 26, 2014 at 9:16 AM, Bigby James
<bigby.james@dimthoughts.com> wrote:
> That message is only for folks upgrading a pre-10.0 installation. If you
> installed 10.0 or later, any binary packages you install will use the new
> format. At present there actually aren't any binary package management tools in
> the base system---the 'pkg' command is just a bootstrap that installs pkgng,
> which can also be installed from the port in 'ports-mgmt/pkg.'

Bigby,

Thank you, that is helpful.  FYI the only "package-like" command I
have ever typed is "portsnap" and "make".  I have never typed pkg or
pkgng and I'm not sure why I would... except if I wanted to install a
pre-compiled binary.  So I'm a bit confused as to why someone who only
uses "portsnap" and "make" would be asked questions about the "format"
of my "pkg".

Chris