Date:      Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:32:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Odd out-of-swap condition; ideas?

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Mike Smith wrote:

> ** Firstly, please note that this is on a 2.2 of around February vintage;
> ** if this is known-and-fixed, say no more than that and we will proceed
> ** to negotiating an upgrade.
>

> We have a system in the field that is showing an odd out-of-swap
> condition.  What's most odd is that it appears to involve a leak of
> some sort, where swap remains attached to a process even though the
> process doesn't appear to require it.

All I can say is that I see similar things on a news server running
2.2-stable from late Auguest.

In my case, it is a process (innfeed) that allocates and deallocates
large amounts of memory (perhaps a couple of gigs) over its life
of a couple of days.  More and more swap gets used up with no visable
process using it.  Killing innfeed restores it.

Note that when innfeed is killed, it goes through a graceful shutdown
lasting several minutes.  During that shutdown, it free()s memory
as it finishes things.  The swap space used decreases in a way that
looks loosely proportional to the amount of memory being deallocated,
but ~3x the amount.  It is not a case where the swap only comes back
when the process completely exits.

I'll see about checking /proc/<pid>/map next time I see one to see
if anything is odd there.