Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 14:04:19 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What's touching my executables?

>On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, David Greenman wrote:
>
>> >On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:28:59PM +0000, Christian Weisgerber (naddy@mips.inka.de) wrote:
>> >Probably the recent change (IIRC) that someone turned running an
>> >executable into a mtime change.
>>
>>    There was no such change. I proposed a change that would update the atime,
>> but that was not committed because it has some bad side effects.
>
>I didn't see that.  I saw when you objected to me fixing the bug many
>years ago :-).  The atime update was too slow for executables on nfs
>filesystems.  I only used it to reduce the number of non-conformances
>found by the NIST Posix test suite.  There is now a PR about this bug
>(kern/25777) with a very broken patch in it (it assume that all
>filesystems are ufs and hacks on ufs's IN_ACCESS flag).

   I tried to fix the problem in the VOP_OPEN (specifically, ufs_open), since
it seemed reasonable at the time that an open should be considered an
'access'. Unfortunately it was pointed out that this would break some
things like 'mail unread since...', which depends on open/writes/close with
no reads to not change the access time on the user's mail spool file.

-DG

David Greenman
Co-founder, The FreeBSD Project - http://www.freebsd.org
President, TeraSolutions, Inc. - http://www.terasolutions.com
Pave the road of life with opportunities.