Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 13:32:58 +0300
From:      kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
To:        "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Solved Problem on istalling 2.0.5A - no problems with SNAP-950412

Hi!

My hardware is: Intel "Plato" + AHA 2940 PCI SCSI + 64M RAM + EtherLink III
(ISA). I am runnung FreeBSD only system.

I did install SNAP 950412 and solved this EtherLink III problem as
mentioned in "Problem 1". No other broblems.

With 2.0.5A had extra problem with the boot after installation. I think I
made 2 errors: Did not disable all irq 10 devices and did use "EasyBoot" or
"Write MBR" options in FB 205A installation.

I had 2 problems

One with EthernLink III  and one with booting after installation fron hard d=
isk

Problem 1 ----------------------------------------------

EtherLink not visible, AHA 2940 disk not working

Solution:

- boot with -c
  and
- irq ep0 7   (Changed in hardware to 7 also)
- dis lpt0    (using irq 10)
- dis ie0     (using irg 10)
- dis wt0
- dis mcd0
- dis mcd1

Problem 2  ----------------------------------------------

Does not boot from hard disk after installation

- I had selected this SmartBoot (sp) from 2.0.5A (selection 1)
  or "Write MBR.." (Selection 2)
- No boot, got

  "F1 . . . BSD
  Default: F?"

  or nothing

Solution:

- I found fdisk from 2.0-950412 SNAP and wrote MBR (command W)
  (Actually tryed to reinstall SNAP-950412, and it did go OK)
- I did install 205A and did NOT WRITE Boot blocks!!

- On the boot from hard disk I did disable all devices using irq 10 +
  made disable and irq commands mentioned in Problem 1

Seppo
---
Seppo Kallio
U of Jyvaskyla