Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 12:35:07 -0000
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        John Reynolds <johnjen@reynoldsnet.org>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best known methods for dual boot with XP with functional hibernate?

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003, John Reynolds wrote:

> hello all,
>
> Are there best known methods for dual booting FreeBSD (5.1-current) on a
> laptop with WinXP pro while retaining hibernate functionality?

> I just got a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop and amazingly suspend and
> hibernate functions work! (whereas they horribly did not with Win98 on
> my CPxJ). I believe that the hibernate function uses a special partition
> to dump RAM to, correct?

You're thinking of Suspend to Disk.  S2D uses a special partition in order
to function.  Hibernate uses a file on the Windows %system% partition, and
needs nothing outside of the windows partition to function.

> I'd like to nuke this current setup and go with a dual boot
> configuration, but I want to be able to have XP utilize whatever it
> needs to to hibernate correctly (and maybe even FreeBSD too if ACPI
> works).

I've told windows to hibernate and booted FreeBSD with no problems, once
I'm done, I restart windows and it comes out of hibernation just fine.

I'm currently running WinXP Pro and FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASEp10 in a dual boot
configuration on a Latitude C810.  I haven't tried S2D under FBSD, and
have no idea if it works.  I don't have an S2D partition on my machine.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"