Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:12:53 +0200
From:      Harold Gutch <logix@foobar.franken.de>
To:        Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
Cc:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sigset_t changes committed

On Wed, Sep 29, 1999 at 02:04:27PM -0700, Doug wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Harold Gutch wrote:

> > > 	Is there any way at all that we can change this process so that
> > > building the kernel first is not required? Those of us involved in
> > > educating users about the make world process spend a lot of time telling
> > > them not to do this. It's amazing how long and how tenaciously "one-time"
> > > exceptions like this stick in their minds.
> > >
> > Those users shouldn't track (or run) -CURRENT.
>
> 	My, isn't that a clever solution. Problem is, in N number of
> months -Current will be -Stable. Not to mention that every time someone
> has to upgrade from -Stable to -Current from now on (for entirely
> legitimate reasons) they will have to do this unique procedure. This is
> really a much bigger problem than people seem to realize (however
> necessary it may ultimately turn out to be).

I interpreted the way of currently handling things (build the
kernel first, then the userland) to be a _temporary_ solution,
that Marcel was working on being fixed. If this is not the case,
then I agree with you.

bye,
  Harold

--
<Shabby> Sleep is an abstinence syndrome wich occurs due to lack of caffein.
Wed Mar  4 04:53:33 CET 1998   #unix, ircnet