Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:02:43 +0100
From:      Pierrick Brossin <pbrossin@swissgeeks.com>
To:        Avleen Vig <lists-freebsd@silverwraith.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Easy Server

> > running 24 jours a day, 365 days per year!

French into my sentence :D made a mistake heheh!
Meant 24 hours a day..

> I don't mean any disrespect Pierrick, but it sounds like you're following
> what other people are telling you without really understanding it.

I totally agree with you.
I have been using unix likes for some years now but never had luck to really go
deep into it!
Meaning I never developped an application which uses system calls.
I never developped a driver or helped to.. never debugged the kernel.
Never installed a full server on my own (except some small servers for work..
like a FTP HTTP with MRTG server..)

I always used unix likes as workstation and tried (but always failed) to make my
own server!

> this would allow netbios connections to port 137 for the ip address
> 12.34.56.1, but deny it to everyoen else. See? No firewall needed :-)

ehehe I didn't know it was possible to go that far!

> The best way around this is to always keeps your installations up to date.
> Eg when a new apache version is released, I normally install withing 2 or
> 3 days after testing it on a spare machine.

It's not really a problem!