Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 2015 10:16:33 -0700
From:      aurfalien <aurfalien@gmail.com>
To:        Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS best resilver settings?

These settings help quicken my resilver times;

vfs.zfs.resilver_delay		0
vfs.zfs.resilver_min_time_ms	5000

Also I check the disks regularly via cron and have this set;

vfs.zfs.scrub_delay			0

As they say, HTH.

- aurf

"Janitorial Services"

On Oct 8, 2015, at 4:41 AM, Quartz <quartz@sneakertech.com> wrote:

>> Resilvering doesn't necessarily trigger disk failures more frequently
>> when done quickly as when done slowly -- if a disk spot has worn out =
and
>> will fail on next access, then resilvering will eventually reach it
>> however fast it runs. Ultimately, it's best to get the system back to
>> full resilience promptly.
>=20
>> then it may be worth
>> while taking the temporary hit on performance and priotising =
resilvering
>> just so you can get it over with.
>=20
> Well, that's why I stated rebuilding as the only goal. Performance can =
be degraded for a bit if it gives a better chance of getting the array =
back before another drive dies. I was more interested on a technical =
level if adjusting the resilver priority has any statistical impact on =
other drives failing. Besides sectors going bad, you can also have head =
crashes and controller failures and all sorts of other things. I'm =
wondering if there's a 'best practice' for minimizing that.