Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:29:20 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@rocky.sri.MT.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, current@freebsd.org, jhs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: startslip

[ Chat and slattach ]
> I've never gotten it to work from slattach.  Maybe it works for other
> people, but for me it croaks immediately after invocation when run by
> slattach, whereas it works fine when run with the same arguments (and
> script) if run by itself.

I *think* I might have a clue why it works for me and doesn't work other
folks.  I didn't get it work until I setup a getty on my new box running
on ttydX, where X is the same port (cuaaX) I was trying to use startslip
on.  Why it works that way I don't know, but having the getty running is
a nice backup solution.  If/when slattach dies on my box, I can dial in
remotely and start it backup. :)

Nate