Date:      Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:38:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai <asmodai@wxs.nl>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, current@freebsd.org, mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net
Subject:   Re: Really! strange uid value

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:

> On 27-Feb-99 sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> >> Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai once stated:
> >>
> >> => -rw-r--r--    1 4294967294  wheel  389120 Feb 14 23:54
> >> pdksh.core.xclink
> >>
> >> =this is exactly what I got when I tried to compile some things over
> >> NFS.
> >> =The created directory and files were also like this:
> >> =
> >> =1 drwxr-xr-x  3 4294967294  wheel  - 512 Feb 15 21:09 aout/
> >> =
> >> =funny, the same value. There is something left out very fundamentally
> >> =somewhere.
> >>
> >> Just FYI. This number is 0xFFFFFFFE in hex... A search for this number
> >> through the sources does not bring anything under NFS itself, though the
> >> following may give a clue:
> >
> > Remember that the "nobody" user is uid 65534 (0xfffe). The signed
> > extension of this to 32 bits is 0xfffffffe. Maybe you're seeing uid 0
> > being translated to 65534 (due to NFS) and then sign extended.
>
> Could be, but that is still not correct behaviour as far as my knowledge
> goes. It should not get sign extended IMHO. Am I correct in assuming this
> (call to the more knowledgeable ones)?

Do you have a simple repeatable test?  What OS is the server running?
This kind of problem is easy to fix if I can reproduce it but I don't
really have enough information.  A packet trace of what happened when
things went wrong would be helpful (tcpdump -vv -s300 is pretty useful).

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com