Date:      Fri, 30 Sep 2011 01:38:42 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Volume control in mplayer resetting 50% when starting / stopping video clips

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:17:50 -0400, Jerry wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 23:58:29 +0200
> Polytropon articulated:

> > > try 'sysctl hw.snd.vpc_autoreset=0'.
> >
> > Many thanks! This restored the default behaviour!
> > I have it set in /etc/sysctl.conf now.
> >
> > And: No, I _won't_ ask why this kind of stuff is required
> > to restore default behaviour and established functionalities
> > after minor upgrades, because it would certainly make me
> > a grumpy old man. :-)
>
> I am still trying to figure out why I need to modify it and add:
> "hw.snd.default_unit=4" just to get sound to work on a card that works
> perfectly under Windows sans modification.

No need to introduce "Windows" here to claim that something
is wrong. As I said in my original question, this functionality
_has been working_ for many years as expected on _various_
sound cards that I've used (CMI chipset based as well as
today's typical HDA stuff). Due to audio level considerations,
especially when I have to do some audio processing, the
ability to differentiate all the many channels of the mixer
is a good help. But when something suddenly breaks, you
wonder _why_ this has been changed.

I'm sure there are other things that stopped working because
of new "features" and who knows what - _I_ do _not_ know. :-)

> I have actually graduated
> to the point where I develop ajada
> {http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ajada} when I
> contemplate modifying the hardware on my systems. I have evolved to a
> point way past "grumpy".

Fully agree. Nice terminology, by the way. :-)

The disability to to keep using my perfectly working SCSI
because I cannot put the controller into my "new" system
_is_ such thing, even though there is no relation to the
system or the installed applications. Using USB scanners
just seems to be much more trouble than just attaching a
SCSI scanner and start using it (without any configuration);
this is also a good example of what can cause AJADA.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany