Date:      29 Jul 1999 15:17:55 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        <mestery@visi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gogo vs. Bladeenc, Part II

<mestery@visi.com> writes:

> Well, I tried the latest Gogo vs. the latest Bladeenc from our ports
> tree, and here are more results:
>
> GOGO:
> 	249.15 real       239.20 user         2.15 sys
> 	File size:        3446902
>
> BLADEENC:
> 	540.42 real       527.44 user         5.02 sys
> 	File size:        3446907
>
> (FYI, this was encoding a song that was 3:34 seconds long a dual PPro
> machine with 128MB RAM.)  I'm getting about 1.17:1 compression times with
> Gogo, which is amazing to me since I previously used bladeenc, which
> gave me 2-3:1 times.  And there is no difference in the output quality.

Is it just as bad, then?

For some sounds, the ISO demo code and most programs derived from it
(s.a. 8hz-mp3, no longer available, bladeenc, possibly gogo as well -
I don't know) produces results that are unacceptably weird.  I would
assume that my experiences are due to the bugs in the psychoacoustic
model referred to in the LAME documentation.

In many of these cases, LAME produces better output.  I've yet to find
any cases where LAME would be worse, although I can sometimes hear
audible degradation compared to CD-quality.

Note that I almost always listen to music using headphones.  You can't
necessarily hear the differences in mp3 quality at 128kbit/s using
typical stereos (or even worse, "computer speakers") over the noise of
your computer.