Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 00:05:11 -0400
From:      Brian McGovern <mcgovern@beta.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone interested in working on a test harness?

I have just freed up my last 'committed' project, and I've got some spare
cycles to burn.

I've been thinking about how much goes untested in a release, and have been
thinking about how to put together a test harness to check as many things as
possible.

Thats got me thinking (again) about a test harness, and a test plan. I'm
thinking that the harness can be fairly simple, basically a configuration
engine to run external binaries, and basically keep a running tally of
passed, failed, skipped, and 'warning' tests. The test themselves would
perform some little bit of work, and spew back an exit code that would
put the test in to one of the four above bins.

I'm thinking code for things like filesystems (reading/writing), mmap, basic
networking (tcp/udp, IPv4 + 6), etc. would base a good base set. If there
was a good tool for thrashing disks, for instance, it could be used
in multiple ways... regular UFS, soft updates, vinum volumes, etc. The test
plan could then basically describe how to set up a 'test system', and run
the various tests on it. People lacking hardware could run a subset of the
tests that were appropriate.

Anyhow, I'm looking for anyone who would be willing to do some work in this
area. Obviously, as I'm starting, its pretty open right now to
suggestions/help.

	-Brian