Date:      Tue, 30 May 2000 13:02:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Emmanuel Dwamena <dwamenae@gco.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/18565: com_err's --defsection argument to install-info breaks  make world

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Emmanuel Dwamena wrote:

>  Dear Robert,
>  I have had this problem since I made the attempt to upgrade from 3.1 to
>  current 4.0.
>  I am glad there is a fix finally.
>  How do I update the install-info? I cannot find it in the ports? Any
>  suggesting?

Upgrading from 3.1 to 4.0 is not supported. We only support updating to
4.0-RELEASE (not 4.0-STABLE) from the most recent previous release, which
is 3.4 (although, having said that 3.1 might work if you tried it, or it
might just screw up the system :-)

The instructions are in the /usr/src/UPDATING file in the 4.0-RELEASE
source tree which include how to solve the install-info problem. Make sure
you follow them *THOROUGHLY* if you want your system to work at the end of
it :-)

Kris

----