Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:03:54 +0100
From:      Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
To:        pyunyh@gmail.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Marvell/SysKonnect YukonII source code available

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:19:05AM +0100, Andre Oppermann wrote:
>  > Marvell/SysKonnect made the source code to the YukonII chips available
>  > today under a BSD license:
>  >
>  >  http://people.freebsd.org/~andre/mykbsd60x86-8.12.1.3-src.tgz
>  >
>  > I haven't tested the driver yet and I don't know if it available directly
>  > from the their website already.
>  >
>  > Many thanks to Gerald and Frank at SysKonnect for working with us and
>  > making this possible!
>  >
> Yes, that's great news.
>
> Is there any chance to get a copy of data sheet for Yukon chips?

If you are willing and able to sign a NDA for the 'physical' docs
I think so.  Using the obtained knowledge in a driver is not longer
a problem as pretty much all of the information is available in the
BSD licensed OSS driver too.  It's just a bit harder to digest w/o
the documentation.  Ie. now that the driver is OSS there are no more
trade secrets in the chip.

> I've tried hard to make Rx TCP/UDP checksum offload work but
> failed. ATM both Linux and OpenBSD use Rx IP checksum offload only
> but this driver enabled Rx checksum offload for TCP/UDP. So I guess
> there is somthing not listed in SK-NET Genesis data sheet. :-(

Likely.

> Quick reading the source shows that this driver has the following
> issues.
> 1. Incomplete bus_dma(9) support. The driver uses BUS_SPACE_MAXADDR
>    when it creates DMA tags which means its DMA supports any address
>    without limitations. However, I'm sure Rx/Tx descriptors should
>    reside in < 4GB. So the driver wouldn't work on systems with > 4GB
>    memory.
> 2. Since the driver makes use of mbpool(9) it wouldn't work when
>    bounce buffers are involved. In fact, I think the use of mbpool(9)
>    is really bad as it lacks bus_dmamap_sync(9) operation.
> 3. Lack of ALTQ support.
> 4. The driver may not work on big-endian architectures.
> 5. The driver may not work on architectures with strict-alignment.

Yes, they haven't spent all the time to get up-to-date with FreeBSD.
It seems most of their time is spent on OSX and Solaris drivers for
new wired and wireless chips.

> Btw, new sk(4) is availabe at the following URL. Due to lack of
> documentation it doesn't support YukonII yet.
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/sk/if_sk.c
> http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/sk/if_skreg.h

What's the differences to our current sk(4)?

--
Andre