Date:      Wed, 16 Sep 1998 09:01:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        andreas@klemm.gtn.com (Andreas Klemm)
Cc:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, torstenb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: merit radius detail files?

According to Andreas Klemm:

> What about asking the port maintainer to update the port or even
> better to send diffs after doing the update yourself ?

1) I don't know who the "port maintainer" is...

2) I'm not certain what "updating the port" means and if that would
   be considered (by the FreeBSD folks) as risking copyright issues

and

3) there are no diffs, each release is self-contained and stands
   by itself, once we release, the old version is considered obsolete

If there are no legal entanglements (I'm not a lawyer!), then I
think having the FreeBSD "port" reference our FTP site would be
fine.  I think the only problem is in having the FreeBSD CD-ROM
or ports collection also include (and hence distribute) our code.

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley                     Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ Reuters, London, February 29, 1998: Scientists have announced discovering ]
[ a meteorite which will strike the earth in March, 2028.  Millions of UNIX ]
[ coders expressed relief for being spared the UNIX epoch "crisis" of 2038. ]