Date:      Fri, 4 Apr 1997 15:45:17 +0200
From:      kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Things moving around on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:
> We've overflowed our 1st 4Gb partition there and now need to go to a
> 2nd, but that means splitting off some of the bits which were
> traditionally confined to one filesystem, and I'm still not sure what
> the effects on the mirrors is going to be.  If you mirror individual
> collections, like pub/FreeBSD/2.1.7.1-RELEASE/, then you should be OK

I switched to mirroring single pieces although I have all /pub/FreeBSD
in a single (dual drive) 6GB ccd device so it wouldn't affect
ftp.de.freebsd.org. (Machine is a AmdK5/133 w 64MB and 128 MB swap).

I switched because mirror 2.8 (with perl5.003) *never*, really *never*,
finished mirroring the whole tree at once. I suspect it a problem
deep in mirror and/or perl. One time I let the mirror process run for 5 days
with debug on and it turned out that it needed 5 minutes to decide
for the next Get (the actual file transfer time was negeglible). This
resulted in a predicted (at 40,000 files to fetch - give some worse case)
time of 158 days (theoretically). I was suspecting some 2^n effect in
searching or db looking up. Anyway, now breaking it into pieces again
seems to get through.

So my question here - sorry that I jumped into this thread:

Is *anyone* out there mirroring the whole tree in one piece using mirror
*and* is using a FreeBSD-x.x.x machine for this? I would be very
interested in knowing this. Some sites I know of use big Sun machines
and they don't seem to suffer from this problem.

> since mirror should follow the symlink.  If you're grabbing all

Does it? I'm not sure. mirror has a variable: follow_local_symlink=''
( define empty by default) and I'm not sure what this means, local from
the view of mirror would be the machine mirror runs on from what I
understand.

> of pub/FreeBSD, however, what you're going to see afterwards is a link:
> 	2.1.7.1-RELEASE -> ../../.3/FreeBSD/2.1.7.1-RELEASE

Is there a possibility to dump some part of the current FreeBSD tree?
Like 2.1.6?