Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 18:49:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <matthew.seaman@tornadogroup.com>, AMAKAWA Shuhei <sa264@cam.ac.uk>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NIS/YP problems using pw(8)

On Fri, 2 Nov 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

On the other hand, besides this studies of development, is there
a chance of getting a NIS/YP compatible and useful pw
in the future?
As I follow the recommendations given in READMEs in /var/yp
from FBSD, it is said to be usefull to set up dedicated
directories for each domain to keep the servers /etc free of net
wide user's stuff. But setting up a such environment
is totaly free from useful tools like pw. pw should be able
to handle multi domain setups on NIS/YP servers under the aspect
of appropriate security aspects.

Thanks.

P.S. Only a foolish opinion, I think, but hope FreeBSD gets more
usefull
by this in future in big networks. pw is a very mighty tool
managin user additions and subtractions from a LAN management
maintained by a raw FBSD system (without additional software
which means additional maintainance).