Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2011 15:46:22 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        apache@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Error from apache/dav after system upgrade: Init: Session Cache is not configured [hint: SSLSessionCache]

On Fri, Jul 01, 2011 at 03:13:13PM -0700, Yuri wrote:
> After I upgraded the 8.2-STABLE to more current code and upgraded
> all ports I am unable to connect to svn repository through apache:
> client gets this:
> Could not authenticate to server: rejected basic challenge.
> httpd-errors.log gets messages, see below.
>
> Line SSLSessionCache "dbm:/var/run/ssl_scache" is in the file
> /usr/local/etc/apache22/extra/httpd-ssl.conf. This file is included
> from httpd.conf.
>
> What may be a problem?

Hmm?  The stock /usr/local/etc/apache22/extra/httpd-ssl.conf file has
the following lines:

 58 #   Inter-Process Session Cache:
 59 #   Configure the SSL Session Cache: First the mechanism
 60 #   to use and second the expiring timeout (in seconds).
 61 #SSLSessionCache         "dbm:/var/run/ssl_scache"
 62 SSLSessionCache        "shmcb:/var/run/ssl_scache(512000)"
 63 SSLSessionCacheTimeout  300

Note line 61 is commented out, and line 62 IS NOT commented out.  Line
62 is what you should be using.

We use Apache with SSL on our production web infrastructure and do not
have any issues with "Session Cache is not configured".

Please double and triple-check your Apache configuration.  Every time
Apache is upgraded, it's the administrator's responsibility to go
through and make sure his/her configuration files are properly "merged"
with the default/stock ones.

| UNIX Systems Administrator                   Mountain View, CA, US |