Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 14:24:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      opentrax@email.com
To:        jhb@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, roman@harmonic.co.il, keichii@peorth.iteration.net
Subject:   Re: OOPS.. (Re: MFC? src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC and sound support

On 15 Jan, John Baldwin wrote:

> On 15-Jan-01 opentrax@email.com wrote:
>> Baseless, my eye you pinhead.
>> Our company has been doing sound for over 10 years.
>> I've witnessed this lockup many times. So get off it. :-)
>
> So this code infringes on your market and its in your best interest to
> discredit it.  Ok.  FWIW, Cameron Grant has been writing sound drivers for 10
> years, so this isn't an amateurish attempt.  Also, I have _yet_ to have a
> problem with pcm hanging during probe.  Ever.  On both ISA and PCI cards.

Hardly, we use the sound drivers that come with FreeBSD
As a matter of fact, we contributed back when we needed
a fix to the sound driver.

BTW, your good luck does not translate to good luck by others.
We have been able to get sound cards to work the first time
out, but we'd had enough that have not to know better.

>> Someone suggested that it go into KLM. That's a good suggestion.
>
> That has been done.  GENERIC and kld's (d, not m) are two different things
> however.

Yes, thank you for that corrections. If memory servers me well, LKM is
Novell (ala Kernel Loadable Module). Thanks again for that correction.

				Jessem.