Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:35:10 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        muir@idiom.com (David Muir Sharnoff)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re: An ISP's Wishlist...

> Absolutely nothing if one knows that it exists!
>
> I've run into this one before: there's a command in a different
> version of unix-like OS that has an equivelent, but it isn't
> obvious.
>
> truss/trace/ktrace.
> lsof/ofiles/fstat.

don't forget Solaris "fuser"

> I'm sure there are more.  An optional package of "pointer" commands
> would be nice.  Has to be very careful never to install over something
> that exists.
>
> 	/usr/local/bin/ofiles:
> 	#!/bin/sh
> 	echo The FreeBSD equivalent is fstat.
>
> I'm not to bothered about it.  I suppose I should do a real RTFM
> one of these days -- who knows what I might discover?
>
> On the other hand, the other day I counted apporimately 1,700 unique
> commands in the various bin directories.

Don't forget to do all the DOS commands too :-)  I've been doing this on
Solaria (SunOS 4.1) for years...

# ls -l /usr/local/bin/dir
-rwxr-xr-x  1 jgreco        187 Sep 10  1992 /usr/local/bin/dir
# cat /usr/local/bin/dir
#! /bin/sh -

(
echo
echo "The UNIX command to list files is \"ls\".  For more information on
the"
echo "workings of \"ls\", type \"man ls\" at a shell prompt."
echo

ls -al $*
) | more

Not to mention, "cls", "copy", "era/erase", "fc", "find", "ren", "type",
etc...

anybody interested in my set of scripts, let me know.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968