Date:      Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:24:05 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Vivek Khera <khera@kcilink.com>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: samba printing stopped after upgrade to 2.2.6

At 12:03 PM -0500 10/28/02, Vivek Khera wrote:
>  >>>>> "DN" == Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com> writes:
>
>>>  but I have not enabled CUPS in samba at all.  Does anyone know what I
>>>  need to do to migrate successfully from samba 2.2.5 to 2.2.6?  Here's
>>>  my config:
>
>DN> When you did the install, you probably just skipped that options dialog
>DN> that came up, right?  All the options on that page are "select to
>DN> enable", except CUPS which is "select to _disable".  Rebuild samba, and
>DN> select the "Without CUPS" line.  Quite annoying.  I work around it by
>DN> adding WITHOUT_CUPS=yes in /etc/make.conf, and setting BATCH=yes in
>DN> net/samba/Makefile.
>
>CUPS is linked in both 2.2.5 and 2.2.6, but in 2.2.6 it seems to want
>to actually *use* it even though I don't configure it.
>
>Also, if I select the "Disable CUPS" flag, all it accomplishes is to
>not register the dependency.  CUPS is still linked for some reason.
>
>Does your smbd have cups linked (as reported by ldd)?

Be a little careful here.  It sounds like you:

   1) installed samba-with-cups
      a) which by definition would install CUPS, if you did
         not already have it installed.

   2) backed off to previous version of samba
      a) which backs out the version of *samba* that was installed,
         but probably does not back out versions of any other
         ports which were installed while installing a new samba.

   3) installed samba-without-cups
      a) ...but CUPS is probably still installed.
      b) if so, the configure scripts for samba will notice that
         CUPS is on the machine, and will probably use it.  This
         would be the correct behavior, IMO, because if you *do*
         have CUPS installed then samba *should* use it.

Some of that is just guessing on my part, but it sounds pretty
plausible.  I would suggest that you see if CUPS is installed.
Also check to see if it is a recent install.  If so, then
/usr/local/sbin/pkg_deinstall cups
and then try the samba-without-cups install once again.