Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:34:08 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript 5 port is broken

On Sun, Oct 12, 1997 at 04:24:30AM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
>  *  - It requires the jpeg6 and png ports for building, but fails to
>  *    detect that they are already installed.  Instead, it depends on
>  *    the file /nonexistent, ie. it *always* extracts, builds and installs
>  *    both these ports.  This will fail if they have already been
>  *    installed.
>  *
>  *  - It attempts to execute scripts/configure, which is not executable.
>  *    Instead, the script should be fed to sh.  (This may be a generic
>  *    ports infrastructure thing.)
>
> You need a new bsd.port.mk for both these things.

Don't I get that with a 'make world'?  I have:

$ l /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk
-r--r--r--  1 bin  bin  54241 Oct  9 04:15 /usr/share/mk/bsd.port.mk

I've built ghostscript 5 twice in the last couple of weeks on a
-current less than 7 days old, and I can confirm both these points.
In addition, a couple of other points:

1.  If you want to make it for A4 paper, you need to specify it on the
    make invocation:

     === root@freebie (/dev/ttyp6) /usr/ports/print/ghostscript5 289 -> Make install
     ===== Mon 13 Oct 08:42:49 CST 1997: Make install
     Type "make A4=yes" if you want -DA4 for compilation.
     ^C
     real    0m2.695s
     user    0m0.182s
     sys     0m0.079s
     === root@freebie (/dev/ttyp6) /usr/ports/print/ghostscript5 290 -> Make install A4=yes
     ===== Mon 13 Oct 08:42:58 CST 1997: Make install A4=yes
     Using -DA4 for compilation.
     >> Checksum OK for ghostscript-5.03.tar.gz.
     >> Checksum OK for ghostscript-5.03gnu.tar.gz.

2.  'make clean' cleans out the other directories:

     === root@freebie (/dev/ttyp6) /usr/ports/print/ghostscript5 288 -> make clean
     ===>  Cleaning for unzip-5.3.1
     ===>  Cleaning for jpeg-6a
     ===>  Cleaning for png-0.96