Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 18:00:47 CST
From:      Kent Vander Velden <graphix@iastate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hard Drive Question

  Hi.  My current 3.1-Stable machine current has a number of
SCSI drives on it and no IDE drives.  I now need a cheap source
of storage that does not need to be high performance.  IDE would
seem to fill this need nicely if the drives will work with FreeBSD.
  The system has an Adaptec 2940 UW controller and boots from the
first SCSI drive.  After adding the IDE drive I still want this
this behavior.  With a 486 of mine I have been able to do this
but not entering the hard drive information in the BIOS.
  The IDE drives that I am interested in are 10+ Gb IBM or
Seagate drives.  Will FreeBSD support these drives to their
full capacity and not disturb my current system?
  Having used SCSI for many years I have lost track of the
state of IDE.  The manual for my motherboard says that it
supports EIDE modes 0-4.  Nothing about ultra, ata, etc. is
mentioned.  Does this limit the my choices of drives that
can be made?
  While I would like to purchase SCSI drives, my needs do
not currently require them and the extra expense is hard
to overlook.  If need be, I can move some of the less used
data to the IDE drives and the leave the data that is accessed
most often on the SCSI drives.

  Thanks!

---
Kent Vander Velden