Date:      Sun, 19 Jun 2016 00:03:35 +0200
From:      Andreas Tobler <andreast-list@fgznet.ch>
To:        Tom Vijlbrief <tvijlbrief@gmail.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the ODroid-C2 (arm64 AMLogic S905)

On 18.06.16 08:30, Tom Vijlbrief wrote:

> Op vr 17 jun. 2016 om 22:18 schreef Andreas Tobler
> <andreast-list@fgznet.ch <mailto:andreast-list@fgznet.ch>>:
>
>     Hi Tom,
>
>     On 12.05.16 18:04, Tom Vijlbrief wrote:
>     > Op vr 6 mei 2016 om 12:40 schreef Tom Vijlbrief
>     <tvijlbrief@gmail.com <mailto:tvijlbrief@gmail.com>>:
>     >
>     >> I've been hacking to see if I can get FreeBSD to boot on this little
>     >> device, and I got to this:
>     >>
>     >>
>     > Progress has been made and it now boots and USB-works :-)
>     > (but SD-card reader and Ethernet do not)
>

> So you must use a root filesystem on USB, you cannot access the SD-card.

I was aware about that, but I understand it this way that the FBSD
kernel does not support these features yet.

>     >
>     > Mikaƫl Urankar added the code to enable multiple processors,
>     > but for now multiple processors are disabled.
>     >
>     > This is very much a work in progress, but for those who would like to
>     > compile their own kernel and boot it on an Odroid-C2, get it from:
>     >
>     > https://github.com/tomtor/freebsd/tree/tc2
>     >
>     > and build it with:
>     >
>     > make TARGET=arm64 -s buildworld
>     > make TARGET=arm64 buildkernel KERNCONF=ODROIDC2 NO_MODULES=YES
>
>     I tried and I ended up here:
>
>     cd: /export/devel/build/test/freebsd-tc2/sys/boot/arm64/aml: No such
>     file or directory
>
>     I think here is something missing.
>

> Oops, you're right. Should be fixed now in the current tc2 branch

Ok, I'm not very familiar with git & co. So far I do not see a
change/update on the 'web frontend' of your repo.
(https://github.com/tomtor/freebsd/tree/c2)

Do they (github) update only after a 'certain period'?

>     > I have attached an USB disk and an USB ethernet adapter and the system
>     > boots, NTP adjusts the date and I'm logged in with SSH.
>     >
>     > However, a "portsnap fetch" runs a long time and then exits with:
>     > pid 78242 (sh), uid 0: exited on signal 10 (core dumped), so it is
>     > obviously not ready for general use.
>     >
>     > Boot instructions are here:
>     >
>     > https://github.com/tomtor/image-freebsd-c2
>
>     The boot process stops and complains filesystems not known. Might be the
>     card.
>

> See remark above.

Yes, but I'd expect at least the kernel to be loaded and this has
happened. Unfortunately it doesn't boot. This was with -CURRENT and your
changes from the c2 tree. So it seems that something changed between
-CURRENT and your tree which stops booting.

That is why I took a snapshot from your tree to find out what the
difference is.

> I do not have much time the next few weeks, but I will try to get the
> SD-card and board ethernet running later or perhaps someone else will
> have a go at it.
>
> Note that the occasional core dump is very rare. I managed to build
> large parts of world on the device. I wonder what the cause is.
>
> I would like to see if I get similar dumps on my Pine64, but on the
> Pine64 neither the card-reader nor the USB work. I saw an additional
> patch from Andrew for the SD-card reader which is not in my tree, but
> have not tried that yet.
>
> Thanks for trying this Odroid-C2 build. The Odroid-C2 is really a nice
> little device.

I'm interested in a running C2 to continue gcc stuff I started with
qemu. I need horsepower and I expect the c2 will fit my needs.
Thank you for starting this port.

Andreas