Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2006 19:37:34 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make tools question & symbol versioning

On Tuesday 28 February 2006 07:06 am, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> > Hi,

> > deischen> For that particular function, I thought it was suppose to
> > be exported deischen> for use by applications.  It doesn't begin
> > with underscores, and it deischen> ends with "_r", so it certainly
> > looked like it should.
> >
> > deischen> These functions should be renamed if they are internal
> > interfaces.
> >
> > No, they are already have __ prefix.  Please refer
> > libc/net/netdb_private.h.
>
> Ok, I see that now.  Personally, I don't like renaming things like
> that.  It's just one more level of obfuscation.
>
> > deischen> I'll remove gethostbyname_r.  If you find others that
> > shouldn't be deischen> there, please let me know.
> >
> > Please remove the functions listed in netdb_private.h.
>
> Will do.

These are real exported functions.  The netdb_private.h thing is a hack
to force people to do the correct #includes.  People got tired of folks
using ancient code with bogus manual 'extern' declarations with bogus
structs and wondering why it didn't work correctly.

I think they should be versioned, and the netdb_private.h stuff adjusted
if necessary.