Date:      Mon, 27 May 1996 08:54:04 -0400
From:      Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu (Bill Paul), freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: three stage boot again

> I think you're on the money here; the third stage shouldn't care how it
> got into memory, it should be able to derive _everything_ by examining the
> environment that it finds itself in on startup.

Not that I entirely disagree, but just for context, the way DEC does
it is with a ``boot parameters block'' which is used to pass
parameters from the secondary to the tertiary bootstrap.  It includes
things like the bootstrap driver, the memory bitmask, boot arguments,
boot device, etc...  This then becomes a well defined interface
between the secondary (machine specific) and the tertiary
(machine independent) bootstraps.

PS.: The tertiary bootstrap can also load and boot anything,
not just VMS...

Robert Withrow, Tel: +1 617 592 8935, Net: witr@rwwa.COM