Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:42:44 -0700
From:      Pascal Hofstee <caelian@gmail.com>
To:        Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: name-service caching

On Sat, 2006-04-29 at 02:58 +0900, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Okay, you can set it up quite easy:
>
>   1) Make sure you have /etc/cached.conf installed.
>   2) Put cached_enable="YES" into your /etc/rc.conf.
>   3) Start cached(8) by `/etc/rc.d/cached start'.
>   4) Put `cache' keyword to the database entries which you want to
>      cache the result in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  For example:
>
> 	hosts: cache files dns
>
> Please refer cached(8) and cached.conf(5) manpages for detail.

Ok .. i am wondering if it's just me doing something stupid or if things
really are broken in some way. I followed the instructions as provided
above, using the default cached.conf.

With a standard nsswitch.conf (without any cache lines) everything works
as expected. The second i modify the hosts: entry in /etc/nsswitch.conf
as suggested above, a lot of things stop working.

- cvs [update aborted]: received broken pipe signal
- portsnap can't fetch its tag information and aborts because of it
- the ports system can't seem to fetch any distfiles

Those are a few of the immediate issues i encountered.
The second i remove the cache definition from the hosts: entry, normal
system operation is restored again.

This is experienced on FreeBSD/amd64 7.0-CURRENT updated about an hour
ago since the time of writing. Any suggestions would be highly
appreciated.

--
  Pascal Hofstee