Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2012 06:32:27 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        contro opinion <contropinion@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: how to solve the problem to install R?

{ Re-including list, hope that's okay. }

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 00:14:37 -0400, contro opinion wrote:
> # cd /usr/ports/math/R
> [root@sea /usr/ports/math/R]# make configure
> ===>  R-2.15.1 is marked as broken: The PDF_MANUALS option cannot be used,
> because print/texinfo is incompatible with print/teTeX-base.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/math/R.
>

> how can i do now?

I have the same port version here, and I can get to the
configuration menu. First of all, make sure you have done

	# make rmconfig

And then you should see no error message when doing

	# make configure

And in the menu, do _not_ select PDF_MANUALS. Having
examined the port's Makefile for the BROKEN variable
and other options that might "trigger" it, it seems
that the R port has significant problems regarding
its documentation.

     |                       Options for R 2.15.1                         |
     | +----------------------------------------------------------------+ |
     | | [ ] ATLAS         Use ATLAS instead of BLAS/LAPACK             | |
     | | [X] GHOSTSCRIPT   [dev2]bitmap() graphics devices              | |
     | | [X] ICU           Use ICU for collation in multibyte locales   | |
 =>  | | [X] INFO_MANUALS  GNU info manuals                             | |
     | | [X] JPEG          jpeg() graphics device                       | |
     | | [ ] LETTER_PAPER  US Letter paper                              | |
     | | [X] LIBR          R shared library and a dynamically-linked R  | |
     | | [X] PANGOCAIRO    cairo and pango graphics support             | |
     | | [X] PCRE_PORT     Use devel/pcre instead of the bundled PCRE   | |
 =>  | | [ ] PDF_MANUALS   PDF manuals (requires TeX)                   | |
     | | [X] PNG           png() graphics device                        | |
     | | [X] TCLTK         tcltk package                                | |
     | | [X] THREADS       Threading support                            | |
     | | [X] X11           X11() graphics device                        | |
     | |                                                                | |
     +-+----------------------------------------------------------------+-+
     |                       [  OK  ]       Cancel                        |

Then you should be able to continue building (will possibly pull
gcc 4.6.3, this is the point where I stopped testing it myself.

If this doesn't work, again remove the configuration and re-enter
it by "make configure": Then deselect INFO_MANUALS also. As I
said, the port's Makefile shows:

.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MINFO_MANUALS} && ${PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS}
ALL_TARGET+=    info
INFO=           R-FAQ R-admin R-data R-exts R-intro R-lang
.endif

.if ${PORT_OPTIONS:MPDF_MANUALS} && ${PORT_OPTIONS:MDOCS}
BROKEN =                The PDF_MANUALS option cannot be used, because\
                        print/texinfo is incompatible with print/teTeX-base
BUILD_DEPENDS +=        pdftex:${PORTSDIR}/print/teTeX-base \
                        texi2dvi:${PORTSDIR}/print/texinfo
ALL_TARGET+=            pdf
CONFIGURE_ENV +=        INSTALL_INFO="${LOCALBASE}/bin/install-info" \
                        MAKEINFO="${LOCALBASE}/bin/makeinfo"
INSTALL_TARGET+=        install-pdf
PLIST_SUB+=             PDF_MANUAL=""
.else
PLIST_SUB+=             PDF_MANUAL="@comment "
.endif
.endif # LIBR_SLAVEPORT
.endif # !LIBRMATH_SLAVEPORT

Keywords are MDOCS and MINFO_MANUALS here. So if the problem
might be inherited from other ports (mdoc related?), you could
do

	# make rmconfig-recursive

followed by

	# make config-recursive

to visit and carefully check all configuration screens that might
have an option that "triggers" the BROKEN mechanism, possibly
related to some info, texinfo, teTex or other dependency for the
documentation of R.

Finally, you could try to install R from package (via pkg_add -r).
The Makefile doesn't define RDEPS (runtime dependencies), so that
should be relatively easy. The LaTeX dependency seems to be a
build dependency (see Makefile excerpt above).

If you don't have success with any advice, maybe file a ports PR.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany