Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 21:55:16 -0400
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Peter van Dijk <petervd@vuurwerk.nl>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: envy.vuurwerk.nl daily run output

On Tue, May 09, 2000 at 03:06:09PM +0200, Peter van Dijk wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Backup passwd and group files:
> envy.vuurwerk.nl passwd diffs:
> 3c3
> < root:(password):0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash
> ---
> > root:(password):0:0::0:0:Charlie &:/root:/usr/local/bin/bash
> [snip]
>
> This line needed some thinking from me until I realized that it was trying
> to tell me the rootpassword changed (which I already knew, ofcourse). Could
> this be made more obvious, something like (password1) in the top one and
> (password2) in the bottom one?

Can you think of a clean way to do it? You do not want to show
'password1' and 'password2' if the password _didn't_ change, right?
Now, for the case above, it is easy enough, but you need to handle
the possibity of multiple changes.

Sure, it's quite possible to do with awk(1) or perl(1), but IMHO, I'll
take the simple solution in 200.backup-passwd over something that
would need to be fairly complicated. Personally, I don't think most
people stare too long at the above line before figuring it out, and
once they do, they never have trouble spotting it again.

Then again... If someone sees a quick way to do it...