Date:      Sun, 19 Mar 1995 08:47:23 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su (Andrey A. Chernov Black Mage), hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/man/catman catman.perl

> Ok, just looking at the commented-out example in /usr/src/etc/weekly,
> i admit that i messed up the uid catman is being run there.  I'm
> going to fix this.

Actually, while you're in there.. :-)

I'd like to make a contraversal suggestion:

I would like to see etc/{daily, weekly, monthly} do NOTHING in the future.

Nada, nichts, bupkis, zilco!  Just a bunch of commended shell functions that
you can MODIFY the thing to call if you wish (just jump down the the bottom
and say something like):

# yeah, I want security
check_security

# yeah, I want a permissions scan
check_permissions

# rotate my log files
rotate_logs

In fact, this could easily be done programmatically by a dialog script asking
you more intelligent questions.

For that matter, all these clever functions can live outside of
weekly/daily/monthly completely anyway!  They should never have been
stuck in these files in the first place.  Make one or more nice
repositories of handy shell functions and just source them into each
file requiring them.  Then the generic functions can at least be
administered through your fancy dialog script.

Hmmmm.  Ok, I'll go do all of this myself.. :-)

					Jordan