Date:      Tue, 12 May 1998 09:20:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Greg McNichol <gc@mcnichol.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Windows & Mouse Problems

On Mon, 11 May 1998 at  8:13:43 -0500, Greg McNichol wrote:
> I am a recent convert to FreeBSD and was impressed by the ease in which you
> could load this OS (very different than even Linux). After getting it up and
> running I was still faced w/ two problems:
>
> 1) On my COMPAQ DESKPRO 5190 and NEC MultiSync 3Fg monitor I can't get the
> mouse to be recognized. X Windows will only load if I specify /dev/sysmouse
> but, regardless of which protocol I choose the mouse will not work.
> 2) Xwindows loads at the incorrect screen resolution (windows occupy the
> entire screen) w/ SVGA 800x600 settings and Cirrus 5134 chipset specified (I
> had similar problems w/ Linux but not as bad).
>
> Can anyone be of some assistance?

If you have managed to use X under Linux on this machine, you should
be able to use the Linux version of /etc/XF86config almost unchanged.
The only exception is--you guessed it--the mouse.

If you know how the mouse is connected, tell us.  Don't guess: if you
don't know, take a look at the Linux XF86config file.  You should find
something like this:

Section "Pointer"
	Protocol	"MouseMan"
	Device		"/dev/tty00"

What we need to know is exactly what you have in the last of these
three lines.  It will probably need to be changed, since Linux and
FreeBSD use different device names.

Greg