Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2000 00:55:23 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bad144 missing?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 12:36:38AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 22, 2000 at 02:13:17PM +1000, Jonathan Michaels wrote:
> > and what of all the people who still use this kind of hardware ?
> >
> > what are they supposed to do ?
>
> As I mentioned above, run 3.4 or even 2.2.8 depending on your needs.

For those who need an OS that runs on what ever they can get their
hands on, I strongly recommend looking at NetBSD.  FreeBSD has
traditionaly been a server and, to a lesser extent, workstation OS.
NetBSD's claim to fame is that it runs on everything.  It will
probably support ESDI, MFM, and RLL disks long after they are practicaly
unavilable at third or forth hand at flea markets and swap meets because
that's the way they are.  Quoting the quote at the top of NetBSD's web
site: ``Of course it runs NetBSD.'' That's not FreeBSD's nitch.

Please don't think I'm trying to drive you away.  I'm just attempting to
point out that this is one of those cases where FreeBSD may not be the
answer, but BSD is still the answer. ;-)

-- Brooks