Date:      Sat, 8 Apr 1995 22:27:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Disk performance

> RG I expect to be able towards the end of next week show some really
> RG amazing numbers on a Pentium system with respect to memory speeds.
> RG Let's all hope that the new EDO and Pipelined Burst SRAM stand up
> RG to the theories and we start to see 100++MB/sec main memory speeds on
> RG a Pentium like we should.
>
> Agreed...  Looking forward to it.  PCI specs are pretty good but PC
> motherboards have never been very good in the memory interface dept.
>
> Is the idea of EDO that you hit RAS for the next cycle while the out
> data is still current?  Bank interleave probably helps more for cheaper,
> if you have/need enough memory.  Eeek.  Here I go back to my old
> mainframe days :-)

I have not been able to find much technical data on exactly how
the EDO simms work.  I do know that it is suppose to eliminate the
RAS precharge time between access cycles, and still support the
equivilent of fast page mode accesses.

I need to go dig in the magazines and see if I can find some more
indepth articles on EDO.