Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:42:39 +0300
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        smitho <Smitho@en.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, bobv@en.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and me

smitho wrote:

> good evening ...err morning
> I need to obtain FreeBSD to run a internet server.
> we havent bought the server yet and I wanted to download the OS to get a
> look at it ahead of time we are hopeing to use.....
> 16x Mitsumi cd-rom
> pentium 150
> tyan 1572  430tx atx model
> quantum 2.1 SE with ultra DMA 33 IDE
> (2) 64 MB sd-ram dimm moduals
> colorado T3000 back up
> el-chepo video card (we wont be running a GUI)
> and a 3 com 3c905 10 base t ethernet card
> I have had a hard time trying to find specific information on hardware
> compatability or any info reguarding reccommended install method
> (cd-rom,tape,disk,etc.) I have contacted many of the above mentioned
> vendors and they say they do not support FBSD are there drivers in the
> OS that will work with these pieces?? there is alot of vague references
> but nothing specific I was wondering if I may trouble you to give me any
> hardware recommendations and/or any type of neet stuff you can tell me
> would be great and highly appreciated I think we want to use ver. 2.2.2
> that seems to be the most recent stable version from all the reading I
> have done..
> help any  way you can
> thank you thank you thank you
> Eric Smith
> Smitho@en.com

For a list of most of the hardware that's supported out of the box, take
a look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook8.html#8

As for specifics, if you're going to build a server, go with a SCSI
controller and peripherials. They cost a bit more but are better
supported, more expandable and generaly put less overhead on the CPU.

The 3com card you mention does not appear in the list. It may still be
supported, so you may want to try and search the archives for mentions
of it, or wait for someone who's using it to answer ;-)

As for the installation method, the easiest way is CDROM, assuming you
have a working CD drive. If you have good Internet connection (and you
probably would if you're installing an Internet server) then installing
over the net will probably pretty easy too. If non of these is an
option, do a DOS install. Avoid floppy install if at all possible.

Regarding the version you install, 2.2.2 is the latest *release*, but
there are newer stable versions. You may either install a stable
snapshot off of ftp.freebsd.org, or install 2.2.2 and later upgrade your
source tree to -stable if you see fit (also refer to the section in the
handbook titles "staying stable with FreeBSD"). Generally speaking 2.2.2
(or a snapshot of it) should give a good starting point. If you go for a
snapshot, you obviously cannot use a CD for installation though.

Hope this helps,
Nadav