Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 13:16:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE Prefetch Mode... (was: VIA crashes)

    I'm CCing Soren to make sure he sees this.

    This is good news!

						-Matt

:It currently seems that the "IDE Prefetch Mode" option in my BIOS was
:causing my crashes reported earlier today. When I disable it (and enable
:softupdates, which I previously suspected as causing trouble), I can do
:what I want to do without any problems.
:
:If anyone's had any similar negative experiences with the IDE Prefetch
:option, I'd be glad to hear about it. In the meantime, I will let this
:option turned off and see how the system behaves duing normal usage. If no
:more problems occur, this option will remain disabled - I may lose a little
:performance this way, but a system with slighly less performance is still
:better than a constantly crashing system. Not to mention that I didn't
:notice much of a speed difference when disabling this option anyway...
:
:Greetings
:Nils
: