Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 16:20:09 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnu/usr.bin/texinfo/Makefile.inc

As Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Jörg, why are you forcing -O2 in this file for all of texinfo's utilities ?

> > +CFLAGS+= -O2 -pipe
>
> You confused the heck out of me with this one, this is a modification on
> some machine some place, this modification is part of a recent commit,
> which I did not have pulled out in my source tree.
>
> cvs diff -u -r1.2 -r1.3 showed me it was added recently.  This should
> not be there unless there is a VERY good reason for it.  Either way
> the -pipe must die, that really kills small machines compiling.

The -pipe went in by accident.  After fiddling a bit around with it, i
didn't find an easy way to fetch the setting out of /etc/make.conf
without breaking the whole (and ugly) make mechanism of texinfo.  The
previous state of the art has been _no_ optimization at all, which i
considered bogus.

If anybody knows a better solution, i'm willing to use it.  Otherwise
i would simply go and kill the -pipe.

(Btw., i've not seen Ollivier's message at all.)
--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/