Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 18:02:05 -0800
From:      Christian DeKonink <chrisd@sendmail.com>
To:        tom brown <tmcb1971@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is the PAO install always this hard?

Well I must say that it took a heck of a lot of work for me to get my
laptop working but it was expected and I am not complaining.

I first had to borrow a 3com 589D ethernet card from a friend .
I installed 3.2 on my laptop and cvsup'ed 3.4 so I had all the latest
and greatest code.

I have a 3com 575 10/100 which I purchased from dell when i bought my
laptop. As far as I know, that card is not supported under freebsd.
I wish I could write a driver for it but I am not at that level of
programming. So I had to "borrow" a 3com 574 for 100mb and i had to
install PAO 3.4 in order to see the card.

I did not install from PAO boot floppies,  but instead I ftp'd it.
I managed to install it, but only after restoring some of the original
kernel source code which couldn't compile under the PAO patch.

Anyway my laptop is working with 100mb ethernet, without sound, and
without power management.

Needless to say I am very happy with it. I love it and I wouldn't trade
the OS for anything else. Well maybe for -current, and hopefully get apm
to work someday.

Thanks FreeBSD developers,

Chris

tom brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'll keep this short and sweet.
>
> I've been using FreeBSD for 3 years and I would say I
> am quite familiar with it.
>
> I just made the mistake of trying to install in on a
> Laptop.
>
> Inially encoraged by the sucessful recognition of my
> card I continued only to get some message about paobin
> not being available from the main site.
>
> So I try to change the site and pick up hte extra
> components and ....... I can't unbelieveable!!!!!
>
> Then I try to go back into the install and collect
> them from the new session and I get a file transfer
> erroe because the file system is full (not rw mounted
> I'll bet!)....... unbelieveable !!!!
>
> So I back off and try again from fresh (2hours later
> that is!).  This time I select the pao site for the
> full install and guess what....  I can't get the
> bin's.
>
> This is a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> I'll also bet that if I ever get the full sources etc
> together on the same machine at the same time, it will
> take be four days to get the card recognised.
>
> I'm sure the technology all works but this is even
> worse than trying to get windows to work properly.
>
> Get your act together!!

Christian DeKonink
Technical Support Engineer
Sendmail Inc.