Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:59:43 -0500
From:      "Henry Hojnacki" <HEH@TRICOPROD.COM>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serial Port Problems

Greetings!

I am running FreeBSD 2.1.  I had a 486 motherboard, and everything was hunky dory and running fine.  I have now upgraded to a P166MMX M/B, and I am experiencing some problems.  For some reason, FreeBSD refuses to recognize the serial ports.  During boot up, the message  comes up:

sio0: not found at 0x3f8
sio1: not found at 0x2f8

The ports are built on board, and the BIOS is set to configure them as follows:

sio0 (COM1) is set to IRQ4, IO 3f8
sio1 (COM2) is set to IRQ3, IO 2f8

I have tried several options on the configuration, to try to ensure that there is no funny BIOS thing going on.  Additionally, When I boot up to Windows 3.1(Sorry, I have to have it for my kids :), The port seems to have no problems, as the mouse works fine.

The Mother board is manufactured by "TUV product service" and uses the Intel 430TX chip set.  In the ISA slots, I have:

Archive QIC tape drive (wt0) set to IRQ 5, DMA 3, IO 220
Second lp port, (lpt1) set to IRQ 7, IO 278-27f

Both of these devices are recognized and are accessible.  I have a graphics card on the PCI bus.  All other devices are built on board and are recognized.  Here are the assignments as seen during the boot up process:

sc0, IRQ 1, IO60-6f
lpt0 IRQ7, IO 378-37f
fdc0, IRQ 6, DRQ 2, IO 3f0-3f7
wdc0, IRQ 14, io 1f0-1f7 (1.7GB Fujitsi IDE Drive)
wdc1, IRQ15, IO 170-177 (24X IDE CDROM)

I do not know what other information I can give which would be useful.  I am out of options as to what to do.  I would really like to fire up my X-server, but without a serial port, the mouse cannot be used, and this is a crippled way to use X.

Please provide any advice that I could try to alleviate this problem  Thank you in advance for any help you provide.

|-|-|
Henry Hojnacki
Trico Technology Center
Voice: 248 371 8384