Date:      Tue, 7 Jul 1998 14:08:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Tim Borgeaud <Tim.Borgeaud@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        jta001@coes.LaTech.edu (John Talton)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XDM

Scott Mitchell said:

> John Talton said:
> >   2)  How do I get a screen saver in XDM so it doesnt burn a hole in
> >          my monitor (running several computers in lab seting, screens
> >          are on all the time - this is a real problem)
>
> All of the X servers have a bunch of options for setting up the screen
> saver.  IIRC, -s <something> will set the saver timeout to <something>, and
> there is probably an option to have it stick the monitor in power-saving
> mode.  You would add these to the appropriate line in your Xservers file.

I've also just come across this problem. I did use the power saving option
to sort this out. I used the blanktime <minutes> option in the
screen section of /etc/XF86Config. There are also options for StandbyTime,
SuspendTime and OffTime if the power_saver option is enabled in the device
section.

Blanking the screen does have disadvantage that the screen looks like it is
off though.

Tim.