Date:      Wed, 03 Feb 1999 12:56:55 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux devel doesn't work with glibc libs

Mike Smith wrote:

> This should have been on -emulation, moved.
>
> > When trying to link, it complains about libc.os.6 vs libc.so.5. This makes
> > life rather difficult when trying to test glide programs against my version of
> > the /dev/3dfx driver. Can someone commit the RedHat dev system  (mmmm. egcs
> > mmmm)?
>
> There's nobody actively supporting the Linux emulation libraries at the
> moment.  If you'd like to step forward, I'd really like to talk to you
> about it.

I don't if I'm the right person and I don't know if I have the resources,
especially time, but I do know that Linux emulation is very important for
FreeBSD and that we get nowhere if we're all waiting for someone to do
something... so let's talk :-)

I have some raw ideas. I assume you have some ideas too. I guess a lot of
people have a lot of ideas... Let's work it out so that we (or I) can *do*
something.

Currently I don't use the ports-collection. I've downloaded Red Hat 5.2
packages and installed them. I even ported ps(1) [it was needed for Oracle
Application Server]. I think we should build the Linux environment from Red
Hat packages. The ports-collection should hold special ports (like ps and
other kernel/fs-dependent tools).

The biggest downside to this is that such a solution requires too much
Linux-related knowledge. I do not want the FreeBSD user to burn their fingers
on Red Hat packages. So maybe we should indeed offer some prefab
collections...

marcel