Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:42:25 +0100 (CET)
From:      Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
To:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd/cdcontrol

It seems Nate Lawson wrote:
> I'd like it even more if the tools did away with the private ioctl
> interface and really did speak ATAPI.  If that happened, burncd would
> instantly work on many SCSI cd drives.

Oh, I just forgot, the ioctl interface actually came into use because
the old SCSI system used that, and the ATAPI cd driver wanted to
use the same userland util to be compatible. Now CAM did away with
native burner support, and the interface sortof stayed in the
ATAPI world. Agreed it could have been changed to use ATAPI cmds
along the line instead of ioctl's, but both methods has its
good and weak sides, and time went by...

-Søren