Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 22:13:16 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unloading LKMs (was Re: A Desparate Plea for Help...)

Darren Reed stands accused of saying:

> > _lkm_dev() shouldn't be touching the devsw's.  Drivers need to manage
> > the devsw's directly for the non-LKM case and should use identical
> > code for the LKM case.

This is debatable.

> Why ?  Why do we need to change something that already works ?

The issue is that in 2.1.x, devsw entries were members of a
compile-time-defined array.  This is the traditional *nix edit-conf.c
approach.

2.2 builds the devsw tables at link time using linker sets, and as
such the devsw arrays are now arrays of pointers to devsw structures.
This is a huge plus, in that one no longer has to mung the stuff in
conf.c in order to add a new driver.

Bruce's argument is that drivers should do their own management of
devsw entries.  I'm inclined to disagree, especially as there is no
API for doing this; you are expected to grovel directly.

It's probably worth checking with the last people that had their hands
dirty in the LKM stuff.  Rest assured though that the idea here is not
to make any 'ad hoc' changes. 8)

> With people suggesting more and more ad hoc changes, that mean more
> work for me, I seriously have to wonder "is it worth the effort ?"

*ahem* That's entirely the wrong attitude to be taking in a forum
where improvement of the system is a principal issue.  As a vendor
representative, you're welcome (and expected) to stick up for your
preferences; but intimating that we're all picking on you and that you
might as well just pack up your toys and go home isn't very helpful.

If you have a genuine beef with something that's proposed, make some
noise about it.  Chances are that if you get involved in the design
phase, you can save yourself some work instead 8)

Don't be afraid to suggest stuff either; input is _always_ welcome.