Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2014 16:32:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: There is currently no usable release of FreeBSD.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> And that's exactly why I'd start with -current.  By the time you're
> ready to go live, it will be -stable.
>
> If you start at 8, 9 or 10 now, you'll be overdue to upgrade by the
> time you go live.

I agree that the releases do not last long enough to settle on and grow
into.

That is why we *need* a release to go into double-digit minors, like 4 did
when it went to 4.11.

I don't even care which one!  Any of them!  Just give us a release that we
can grow into and not find ourselves at "legacy" two years later, at 9.2.

Which, by the way, is actually a step backwards.  I was appalled to find
that 8 was marked legacy at 8.3, but now 9 is marked legacy at 9.2.
Which means if there is some bug in 'em' or 'twa' and it gets fixed in 10,
you'll never see it backported to 9.  Be honest.