Date:      Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:15:30 -0300
From:      Mitchell Horne <mhorne@freebsd.org>
To:        Matteo Riondato <matteo@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [armv7] dtb specified with FDT_DTS_FILE in kernconf not built when using release.sh

On 4/10/22 16:58, Matteo Riondato wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to cross-build (from amd64) a custom -CURRENT armv7 image for
> my beaglebone enhanced using the release(7) method with a custom
> release.conf script, which I wrote starting from release/arm/GENERICSD.
>
> The only customization that I want to include is to use the appropriate
> dtb compiled from the dts files for this board. I thought I could
> achieve this goal by having "makeoptions FDT_DTS_FILE=..." in my
> kernconf, but the dtb does not seem to be compiled in the chrootdir, not
> to say installed, the image.
>
> The kernconf is the following:
>
> include GENERIC
> include "../../conf/std.nodebug"
> ident   GENERIC-ND-BBE
> makeoptions FDT_DTS_FILE=am335x-sancloud-bbe.dts

I believe this option is used to embed a static DTB in the kernel
binary, not to have it compiled as part of the build.

What you most likely want instead is:
     makeoptions MODULES_EXTRA+="dtb/am335x"

This line is already included as part of the GENERIC config. However,
you will need to modify sys/modules/dtb/am335x/Makefile to include the
sancloud variant that you are interested in.

Cheers,
Mitchell