Date:      Sat, 04 Aug 2001 00:00:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        "ggross@symark.com" <ggross@symark.com>
Cc:        Brad Huntting <huntting@glarp.com>, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>, "kris@obsecurity.org" <kris@obsecurity.org>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: !RE: IPSEC/IPSEC_ESP module(s)

On Fri, 03 Aug 2001 11:28:09 MST, Glen Gross wrote:

> The reason this comes up for me is that someone from SSH Communications
> recently told me that "IPSEC supports IPv6."  Does this mean
> that if I enable IPSEC in the kernel, I should also make sure to enable the
> IPv6 code?  I would deeply appreciate it
> if someone could shed some light on this subject for me.

Do you use IPv6 address space to address your host?

If so, enable INET6.

Do you use IP-layer encryption for services offered or used by your
host?

If so, enable IPSEC.

I realize this sounds facetious, but it's really as simple as that.  If
you need it, you need it.  Otherwise, you don't. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.