Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 19:52:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@luke.pmr.com>
To:        chuckr@Glue.umd.edu (Chuck Robey)
Cc:        FreeBSD-chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Motherboards 'n Bioses

Chuck Robey wrote:
> OK, I think I have a motherboard in my sights, the Tyan Tomcat I, but I
> need some info on the BIOS.  The vendor I found only uses Award and Mr.
> Bios.  I could get an AMI bios, but I'll have to go out of my way on it,
> probably to another vendor.  Does anyone have any compatibility info
> about the Award BIOS and FreeBSD?

All of the Pentium MBs I've used (about 8 all together) have had
AWARD bios and they all have run FreeBSD, at one time or another.

> BTW, I'll be using SCSI only, using Tyan's own NCR based SCSI controller
> (cheap).

Several of my systems are using the ASUS SC200 SCSI adapters that
are NCR 53C810 based.  Seem to work fine.  A have a few Adaptec
2940's as well that also work fine, though the NCR driver is
friendler to my Exabyte EXB-8200 tape drives (doesn't complain
about being busy during long operations like rewinds).

--
Bob Willcox
bob@luke.pmr.com