Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 00:43:03 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
To:        bifrost@frond.minions.com (Tom)
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP Netserver LPr

As I recall, Tom wrote:
> FreeBSD and Solaris X86 run really nicely on them, Linux blows
> itself apart because the boards use NCR U2W chip sets on them and
> there is some kind of interaction and race condition which causes
> ext2 to hose itself on them at random intervals.

We're using LPng (the LP Next Generation) on our FreeBSD printer
servers.  The driving factor was that our mainframes (Pyramid DC/OSx)
croaked on the extremely verbose response we got from an NT print server
status request (buffer overrun, the response for a detailed status
request gives everything that happened since boot).  We set up the
Linux systems as prophylaxis for the Pyramids.  Don't ask me why
we didn't implement LPng on the Pyramids, or why the condoms weren't
FreeBSD.
	-crl
--
Chad R. Larson (CRL15)   602-953-1392   Brother, can you paradigm?
chad@dcfinc.com         chad@larsons.org          larson1@home.net