Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 18:48:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Igor Roshchin <str@giganda.komkon.org>
To:        sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OT: FTP almost gone now? (was: Re: IPFW almost works now.)

> From: "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 22:30:41 GMT
>
> Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group writes:
>

> > Applications that use HTTP PUT and POST can be just as interactive and
> > useful.  The reason we don't see any applications like this in
> > widespread use is that the nail doesn't hurt enough for anyone to do
> > anything about it yet.  Once it does standards will change and
> > applications will be built.  It is discussions like this that cause
> > people to to think and interact.  After enough of these discussions
> > eventually the light bulb will turn on in someone's head and we will
> > have a new application based on HTTP or whatever else to replace FTP.
> >

> I recently completed a project for school where all user interaction was
> completed via HTTP POST and PUT with event handling generated via ASP or PHP
> scripts (required features included form handling, ODBC/SQL handling, and
> file transfer). In fact, one could make a very nice file transfer client out
> of purely CGI/PHP using HTTP. Installed on a machine with apache, one
> wouldn't even need ftpd. Encryption would then be achieved by using HTTPS.
>  -----------

In fact, it is possible to do file transfer via telnet, or many other
TCP-based protocols (including secure, or secured (e.g. with SSL) ones)...
Even X/Y/ZMODEM with a few scripts can be used for that :)...
I think, nobody argues that. The question is about simplicity of use,
and effectiveness of transfer.

Having ZMODEM, a few scripts on top of that, and telnetd, one wouldn't
even need to have ftpd, httpd, etc, etc.. :)
Well, if my irony is not quite clear, all I mean:
script-based (especially, CGI) file transfer is a HACK, not a protocol...

Regards,

Igor